Lunuganga Estate was the country home of the renowned Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey Bawa. Started in 1947, the garden led Bawa, a lawyer, to decide to embark on architecture. He went on to become Sri Lanka’s most prolific and influential architects and the garden at the Lunuganga estate remained his first muse and experimental laboratory for new ideas. He continued to change and experiment with its spaces and structures throughout his life until his final illness in 1998. Left to the Lunuganga Trust on his demise in 2003, the gardens are now open to the public and the buildings on the estate are run as a country house hotel.
There are five regular suites and one en suite-on request and availability at the Lunuganga Estate. The Suites are preserved in as close to the way they existed in the lifetime of the architect and full of an eclectic mixture of original antique, sometimes modern furniture and contemporary and traditional artworks. The public rooms include a sitting room and the Garden Room. In addition there are several garden pavilions for relaxation which include the Roman Pavilion and the Blue Pavilion.